November 19, 2012

tomorrow

I had a post brewing, but now that I sit down to write it the only thing that comes to mind are tomorrow's to-do list and a concern for the steady march of time past my bedtime.

- yoga
- meditate
- 30 minutes of morning pages
- eat some breakfast, drink some tea
- go to the market at Bürkliplatz (remember backpack) 
         * Rosenkohl 
         * Elstar Äpfel
         * a jug of cider
         * Kartoffeln 
         * Granatapfel
         * 6 Eier
         * 200g parmesan cheese
         * 200g Nusslisalat
- find a little cafe, maybe the Tee Room at Schwarzenbach for a little quiet time before 10:30am doctors appointment 

And because I'm hoping to accomplish this all before 10:30, and since we know I'm not a morning person, it's time for this Frau to hit the sack. I'll leave you with some pictures of the market since I'm guessing you were hoping for a bit more than a to-do list. 
Any quince fans/people out there? What do you do with them? pie? cake? poach? Help a girl out. 
Are you familiar with mini kiwis? I wasn't until I saw this stand at the market. They are delicious, with a soft skin that you don't need to peal. They are like individually grown mouthfuls of kiwi. Was it mini kiwi before the kiwi or the other way around?
This is Nusslisalat. Is there a Nusslisalat equivalent in the States? I'm not even sure. If not I'm going to miss it terribly when we move back. Note to self - investigate how to grow Nusslisalat and start a booming greens business back home. 

And because it's my dear friend Katie's birthday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!

15 comments:

  1. have a look here - but it's in German...
    http://www.nikkibag.de/index.php/2011/10/koeniginnensuess/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow those look really good. I saw something similar on Fraeuleintext.blogspot that looked incredible. After seeing this I just might have to try some Quince jellies. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. God, I am so jealous of your life! This market looks amazing. I hope the to-do list went well (all before 10:30 AM - impressive). As for quince, I have a friend who made amazing quince paste once (we ate it with nutty cheese and it was delicious). Ali posted about quince jam ages ago: http://www.alexandracooks.com/2006/11/28/quince-jam/

    Happy Thansgiving, Talley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooo quince paste and quince jam sound delicious, and with nutty cheese - YUM! great idea Darcy thanks!

      eek...I know...I was worried my unemployed to-do list might rub people the wrong way. I almost got out of bed to change it, but then I realized everything I was saying was true and so I might as well leave it - best if people know the real me. I make lists because it's good to keep myself busy...must keep moving! when I stand still too long I begin to question just about everything.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous market! That green looks a bit like tatsoi, but I am no botanist/gardener. However, I am a a big time quince person, there is a whole pile of quince recipes on my blog here: http://apt2bbakingco.blogspot.com/2012/11/thanksgiving.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yossy - thank you! I'm going to research the green - seems like it might be mache from other comments and I'm definitely going to peruse your quince archive. I'm guessing I'll find something absolutely perfect for Thanksgiving in there. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Tal -- I second the Quince paste with nutty cheese! Richard makes some every year (our neighbor has a Quince tree -- that's about as exotic as we get in Buffalo). It looks like the green is mache -- hard to find here, but it does exist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there anything Richard doesn't do or make? Also, I want to place an order for more Strawberry Jam. I know it won't be ready until next summer, but I thought it best to place my order now, so I'll be at the front of the line.

      Good to know about mache! THANK YOU! want to go into mache business with me? I think there's a market.

      Delete
  5. We use Quince jam in our Christmas dessert Bratapfeln.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to look up Bratapfein! I see you lived in Zürich, but that you are now back in Chicago. Sorry to miss you while you were here. Enjoy the big city!

      Delete
  6. I say you make this http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/gourmetlive/2012/090512/tapioca-with-stewed-apples-and-apricots-recipe with stewed quince instead of apples/apricots. Or make stewed quince and top it on oatmeal or something! I am, of course, saying this all without ever having tried a quince before in my life. So my credibility is zero, but those things at least SOUND good to me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GENIUS! Amy, this sounds amazing. I think after being such a faithful reader that you know how much I love to stew things. Anything tastes good stewed, even things you've never tried before ;)

      Delete
  7. Perhaps this will be helpful? Found it googling around.

    Nusslisalat is called Lamb’s salad or corn salad outside of Europe, http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/398272

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! that is it. So lamb's green and maché must be the same thing. Thanks for doing a little research for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's mâché! One of my Paris favorites. Don't fret my Frau. It is sold stateside.

    ReplyDelete