November 14, 2012

tomorrow?

Today was one of those days.

You know the kind I'm talking about.

The day when you go to the grocery store, the one that is bigger but farther away, the one that has all the things you need and a nice big bigger-is-better American style shopping cart to push them around in. Giddy over the size of your cart (it almost feels like you're back at Target) you add a few things - a new kitchen towel, a box of muesli, two different red wines from the Ticin - to your shopping list and your proceed to the checkout. All of your items slide playfully down the belt, besides the pomegranate, which rolled and bounced rather ungracefully. But it doesn't matter because you are there to catch everything and pack it in your bags. Everything is packed, all ready, and you go to pay - F*CK! SH*T! F*CK! - you realize you forgot your wallet. You now have to explain your situation in German and all that comes to mind (and out of your mouth) is...

SHEISSE!

and then...
Ich komme zurück. Ich habe kein Geld. Ich komme zurück. 

Thankfully the cashier was understanding (of my shitty German and un-Swiss-like predicament) and held my groceries while I ran home to get my wallet and then back again.

When I finally got home I set myself up in the kitchen, ready to make a cauliflower salad for book club tonight. I broke the cauliflower into florets and put it in the oven. I sliced the celery on a sharp diagonal. I plucked all of the leaves off two bunches of parsley. I ripped open the pomegranate and removed the vibrant geometric seeds, some coming in pairs and others in hunks. Everything was going smoothly until I looked down at my white shirt and realized it was pink with pomegranate juice.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love you, tomorrow...you're only a daaaaay aaaaawaaaayy! 

2 comments:

  1. ..... But you were so put together at book club you couldn't tell a THING had gone awry all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those "if you don't laugh, you cry" days. I had to laugh...maybe you can make the white shirt tie-dye?

    ReplyDelete