November 29, 2012

Ratatouille from Ratatouille

I knew there would be a few in this month of blogging - those posts that reek of desperation, of posting just to post. This might be one of them. I wish I could offer you something more as we near the end of this blogging streak, but I just don't have it in me today. I've been away from my apartment and computer for most of the day and it's late and I don't have the energy to be creative. You know that feeling? I'm guessing you do. Anyway, I'm hoping to redeem myself a little by sharing an outstanding recipe. It is the recipe for ratatouille from the movie Ratatouille. Thomas Keller helped the writers and animators with the food and recipe conception and he shared this recipe with the New York Times shortly after the movie was released. I love everything about the movie, but I especially love the idea that a simple stack of cooked vegetables, full of flavors so simple yet sublime, can evoke memories of love and family.

I made this ratatouille on Tuesday, after our Thanksgiving leftovers ran out and we felt the need to overdose on vegetables. It was actually in the oven as I was writing about detoxing and parsley root soup. I'm going to come right out with it - it was one of the best meals I've made in a long time. The zucchini melted into the eggplant which melted into the tomato which all melted in to my mouth. The pipernade - the sweet caramelized onions, tomatoes and peppers - that rests underneath the sliced vegetables brings all the flavors together and helps to soften the vegetables in the oven.

I'm going to leave you with the link for the recipe because my eyes are closing. I didn't adapt a thing, I just did exactly as I was told. I recommend you do the same.

Ratatouille (Confit Byaldi) 

ps. picture is before I put it in the oven.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Talley, what a cool recipe! I love the movie, love the dish, love your picture. I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the feeling that soon enough I'll need an overdose of vegetables too. I'll have to keep this recipe on hand for when the time comes. Thanks for sharing, Talley. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talley, those vegetables! How do they align so perfectly? I suspect I need to get out my mandolin, don't I?

    ReplyDelete