November 13, 2012

I'm a tree!

I'm a tree!

and so are YOU! 

...at least according to my friend Kerry
Kerry is a mindful mediation mentor who believes in the importance of quieting our minds, focusing on our body, and becoming aware of our breathing, all in an effort to check in and be present in this moment. Because, after all, that is the only thing that is certain - that we are here, right now. 

I don't know about you, but at any given moment I'm about a hundred different places. I think about what happened yesterday and what I want to happen in three weeks from now. I make to-do lists. I fret. I wonder. My thoughts circle. My mind is never quiet. This is especially true as I try to sort through what I want to make of myself, here, in this life, right now. I struggle with what? questions, which only lead to how? questions, which then lead to when? questions, and on and on. These questions are reproducing at a faster-than-bunny-rabbit rate in my head. I just want to shut the whole rabbit reproduction race down. 

But have you ever really tried to quiet your mind? It's tough, maybe one the toughest thing you can do. There you are sitting on your chair with your hands on your knees and your eyes closed trying to be still and tree-like, just letting those thoughts rustle your leaves like a shallow breeze before it moves on to rustle someone else's leaves when, bam, someone took a chain saw to the trunk of your tree and you're busy thinking if you want to contribute mashed potatoes or green bean casserole to Thanksgiving, and whether people would prefer pumpkin pie or pecan pie. 

More often than not the stray to-do list thoughts will creep in and disturb the peaces, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. So try it. Listen to Kerry's five minute video. She will help you find your inner tree. I like to think of myself as an Umbrella Pine, perched on one of the seven Roman hills, shading a courtyard with a fountain and perhaps an ancient ruin or two. What about you? 

Follow Kerry and A Mindful Mentor on Facebook for updates. And if you are in NYC keep your eye open for one of her Mindful Soirees where you can eat cookies while you pretend to be a tree.  

And because November seems to be the month of challenges, I've also signed up for Deepak Chopra's 21 day meditation challenge. Why stop at a tree when I can be an entire forest?












3 comments:

  1. Why be a tree when you can be a forest?! Love this. Thanks for sharing Tal. Makes my little heart warm and fuzzy. And you should know that at the soirees we sometimes eat your gluten free chocolate cakes (and Alexandracooks.com pumpkin bread) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talley! Kerry! Hi. Just watched the vid, and I started following Mindful Mentors on FB last week after one of your other posts. Kerry, if you are checking back, you are SO amazing. I am in awe of everything you have done and are doing. Talley, thank you for sharing your thoughts in these posts. I cannot tell you how much I can relate to the chainsaw-to-the-tree image, but I refrained this time. Can't wait to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali-thanks so much for your kind words. It makes me happy that you're joining the mindfulness journey! Do you sign up to receive my free weekly videos? Check out themindfulmentors.com or email me with any questions:) Tal-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete